At present, epoxy resins may be used in:
- The protective inner coating of food tins;
- The inner protection of the lids of glass jars (jam, ready meals, small pots for babies, caps of glass bottles, etc.);
- The protective inner coating of drinks cans;
- The coating of some kitchen utensils (cutting tools, cooking utensils, etc.);
- The protection of metal tanks and vats used in the agrifood industry.
In these applications, the role of the epoxy resin is to prevent corrosion of the metal. In the case of food tins, by preventing corrosion in this way, it ensures that the food in the tin remains microbiologically safe. In the case of lids for glass jars, the resin also acts as a seal.